Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Beginning Week 3!

If you could take a moment, close your eyes, and imagine the most stereotypical German evening, you may very well be seeing my Saturday night. If you imagined lots of German people drinking lots of German beer and swaying back and forth to their German songs, you would be right on par. The only thing that was lacking, quite to my disappointment, was the Lederhosen. 
Sunday we had the parade throughout our village. The German's idea of a parade involves lots of floats pulled by tractors, men dressed as women, and, of course, beer. It was interesting to say the least, though the candy was sparse. 
One of my favorite parts of the day is after my host parents have put Rahel (my host sister) to sleep and we all go sit in the living room. We talk, watch TV and movies, eat ice cream and chocolate, and end most nights in prayer together. Last night we watched Along Came Polly (...und dann kam Polly in German) and tonight we watched Everybody Loves Raymond (which unfortunately is only available in English, but it's an old favorite from back home so it was still good). I find myself often worrying that my host family will regret agreeing to have me stay or that I'm not being a very good host daughter, but after our time together at night I feel much better about things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment