Friday, September 6, 2013

Life in the Fast Lane

I was really scared my first week here would be really hard, because I wouldn't of had a chance to make friend or join clubs and I'd have too much free time. Free time leads to facebook and thinking and missing and ultimately homesickness. Which is not what I want. But this first week has been so incredibly busy.
I start my day off at 5:30 am, breakfast is around 6:15, I leave the house at 6:30, and I'm at the train station at 6:45. When I get home from school I eat lunch with my host mom and usually take a nap (cause naps are the best and listening to German all day is exhausting).
Yesterday one of my teachers at school was sick, so we got out an hour early, which is an awesome thing about German high schools. We had dinner with my host mom's parents and then I went to youth group at church. Everyone there was so nice and the boy next to me spoke really good English and was able to translate for me when I got lost or couldn't understand. After the meeting I was talking to a couple of the youth and they found out that I had not eaten at a German McDonalds yet. So we all loaded up and I was able to experience my first international fast food restaurant (America's food is better and bigger and we have free refills, but the German restaurant is nicer. Also, there aren't trash cans, they throw it all away for you).
Today was Friday and Fridays are always good days because weekends and stuff. Except this morning started off rough. I forgot my purse and didn't realize until I was on the train and a lady was asking to see everyone's ticket. I was ticketless and moneyless and really scared, but I played it cool and hid in the corner and thankfully made it off without being asked about it. After school I went to the most beautiful lake with my host dad's younger brother and his friend. It was really cold, but totally worth it.
Tomorrow (technically today, since it's past 12 now) marks one week that I have lived with my host family. It's been an awkward and amazing week. I can't wait to see what adventures await me. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment